greens and khakis
The coolest is this, these greens from Polyozellus multiplex,
The books generally recommend a 1:1 ratio of dry mushroom to wool, and since I had just half an ounce of the Polyozellus, I used half an ounce of wool. No mordant. Yowza the color! The yarn tyeing the skein is mordanted, and it is even darker. So I kept using the dyebath (still with the mushrooms), and even increasing the amount of wool, until the fifth time through, when I had 1.5 ounces of wool… First time is on the right, 5th on the left. The dyebath was pretty exhausted by then, eh?
Fungi photo from DH, who says this species isn’t common and appears rarely. Hopefully we’ll find it again!
Here’s another where I used the dyebath a second time, Paxillus atrotomentosus. The color from the first bath is more true in the photo on the right. It’s a vaguely purpley gray. Second time? Khaki green.
The yarn was pre-mordanted with alum unless noted, and 1:1 ratio of dry mushroom to wool. Most of the fungi pics are from DH.
- The two Paxillus atrotomentus on the left
- Cortinarius whiteii aka C. limonius (iron in the dyebath at the end)… it’s very pale, and there isn’t much of it
- Paxillus involutus
- Hydnellum of some species that DH and I are trying to settle on (alum with the dyebath)
- Ischnoderma resinosa (4 quarts chopped fresh to 4 ounces wool). This is a better color in real life.
You may know I love the gold from Phaeolus… Here’s more,
The lower skein is pre-mordanted with alum, the yarn above it is overdyed…actually some of it is the same yarn I overdyed with the Cortinarius semisanguineus.
reds and salmons
- The far left (very pale tan) is from Omphalotus, we think O. olearius…
- Next is a bit from Cortinarius armillatus
- Next is a bit of overdyed yarn, with Cortinarius semisanguineus
- two skeins of the second time with the C. semisanguineus (unmordanted on the left, mordanted on the right)
- the far right is the first bath.
I have 4 ounces or so of wool in a dyebath with the lobster mushrooms… So far it’s pretty disappointing. I learned that raising the pH does good things… but not so much.
I also learned that raising the pH for any of the polypores can be a good thing. I hear mixed things about doing so for Phaeolus.
I haven’t had good luck with the iron afterbaths. I remove the wool from the dyebath, dissolve up the appropriate amount of iron, put in the dyebath, mix it all up, put the wool back, and simmer another half hour or more. If anybody has hints or suggestions, I’m all ears.
Anyhow, I have 4 ounces undyed wool left, and I plan to overdye at least half of the skeins from the Omphalotus (it’s too pale) and the second time through with the Cortinarius semisanguineus. This wool is for a sweater for DH… so I’d be happier with a few darker colors tossed in.
I’m thinking Ischnoderma with a higher pH (supposed to get a blackish brown with an iron afterbath). We also have a lot of Chaga (Inonutus obliquus) around. It is supposed to give a light golden brown, and a grayish brown with iron. So I’ll probably do some of that too.