dyeing peeing pigs and more

kool aid!

Overdyed this gray superwash, half of it in black cherry and half in cherry kool aid. I’m thinking it’s for Norma’s red scarf project… but it ended up a little too purple, so I dyed the undyed ends again. In cherry. Because some person bought all the strawberry in Augusta, which is what I’d intended to use.
koolaid dye red koolaid dye red (8) kool aid again
For the middle photo I knew black cherry was on the left, but now I don’t know what’s what.

more Phaeolus

It just never ends. Last weekend we took the girls for a walk at Alonzo Garcelon Wildlife Mgmt Area, and to look for more dyer’s polypore. Which we found… more than in the last post! We walked down to Spectacle Pond, which was gorgeous!
alonzo garcelon 15aug2010 (1)

Today kiddo and I took the girls out behind the airport (which the muckity mucks are calling something else these days), to a spot where we found this fungus last year. Kiddo says “what does it look like” and I tell him and he says “like this?”. And then I say, oh, let’s wander that way, looks interesting over there and he says “these?” “yep”.
phaeolus22aug2010
I think we’re pretty well stocked now. But if I see more, I’ll probably bring it home and dry it… maybe thinking ahead for fungus trade for other dye mushrooms…

Check out the maze like pattern of the pores!
phaeolus22aug2010 underside

but you really want to know about the peeing, right?

This was my toilet this week…
bathroom (3)

Bathroom before (a whopping almost 5 feet by 7, and this is our big one):
bathroom_before (1) bathroom_before
Yet another use for duct tape. The sink has a dark towel in it because the drain is not connected, so nobody tosses a glass of water in there at night (or any other time). We were without the sink for almost a month. The shower surround has been taped for maybe 3 or 4 months.

And now, not quite finished, but eminently usable. The toilet actually flushes with one push of the handle (the old one did not)! We found out after we purchased a surround that our tub is 3 inches narrower than most… so we had to go back and get the single style that would fit. Crappy shelf set up, but I found some good suctiony baskets. Oh, and the sink overflow works… the old one never did, and I was always grossed out by what got caught in there.
bathroom 003 bathroom 001 bathroom 002

pigs

I’ve had a hard time lately with salt shakers. The salt just gets glommed in there, even with rice. So a friend gifted me with a bamboo salt pig! She has one and her salt never gets caked. It works great!
salt pig salt pig (1)

more

I forget what else… I got most of a sleeve done on the sweater I’m working on and realized it’s a little baggy… so I started the other one, winging it versus following the pattern. Here’s hoping it is better.

3 Responses so far

  1. 1

    Melinda said,

    August 22, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

    Cool ‘shrooms! And I love the salt pig! I never knew they existed!

  2. 2

    Chris said,

    August 23, 2010 @ 8:04 am

    Congrats on the new bathroom. :)

    You got good colors from your koolaid dyeing!

  3. 3

    Emily said,

    August 23, 2010 @ 10:12 pm

    The bathroom looks so much better!!

Comment RSS