Two weekends ago, I went with Dianna to Kristen’s place in Vermont to hang around with friends and dye fiber and yarn. It was a blast! We had pots going outside for natural dyeing, including an indigo vat, and there were acid dyes on the porch… we experimented with kettle dyeing, painting and steaming the fiber, crock pots, dyeing with plants and fungi, overdyeing what we dyed, overdyeing bleh fiber we brought… Chaos, but great fun, and great folks to spend the weekend with. Many of the same folks as were at shearing in May, but we missed Sara!
All the photos are here in my flickr set, but here are a few highlights…
Everybody hanging on the porch, getting ready,
The indigo vat… the fiber comes out of the vat green and turns blue on exposure to oxygen. Way cool!
Acid dyes, Toby handpainting, and fiber wrapped and ready to steam:
Simmering weeds, and rinsing Phaeolus dyed yarn,
Some of our results:
The rain held off until we were done with the bulk of it all! We got to visit with Kristen’s flock, and I got to help with the foot rot treatment (just a few of the goats, they’re all doing far better now).
The calf thought Toby was made of milk. He started on her hand, moved to her crutch, and then her knee! Little Blue (see the shearing link, first paragraph) has gotten bigger, and he’s a little fatty, but he’s still the smallest goat!
And here’s the stuff I dyed:
Couple of mystery skeins dyed in indigo. I think they both are from Friends Folly; the top one is a mohair/wool blend and the other is angora or an angora blend.
Some old gray icelandic called Georgetown that I used to make DH a sweater years ago (rav link), and some Aarlan alpaca/wool/silk that was a brownish to start with. The icelandic took the “paint”, the color is more subtle on the other yarn. These are on the bottom, on the right, and here,
I also overdyed some charcoal mohair in indigo… only one half of the skein. It’s subtle and hard to see in the photo, but I like it. This is hanging in the middle on the bottom of the big pic.
Pretty sure this was dyed initially with goldenrod, and then into the indigo. Much better! It’s just domestic wool roving from Halcyon.
Tencel and Seacell out of the crock pot and acid dyed. The fiber went from being smooth and silky straight to somewhat kinky. I think it’ll spin up well. I can tell which is which by feel, but not in the photo.
The photo doesn’t do this color justice… It’s a fabulous grey/green/sagey color. It’s handspun romney that a friend picked up for me. Dyed first in tansy, giving a really “meh” pale yellow, so we added some iron, which saddened the color and made it kinda greyish green, and then we added what was left of the goldenrod to the pot, which deepened the grey-green.
There’s also some pink/purple romney roving (it’s in the top photo). I was stepping outside of my usual color scheme with that one. I think it may go to somebody who will love it more than I will.
Pappus of some seed…
You can see I was screwing around with the macro on my little point and shoot,
Seems like everywhere the damned Japanese beetles are mating…
What was interesting, though, is that many of them would assume some weird posture when I got too close… legs out and up at an angle, and both the male and female would do it, as would the ones near them.
The morning glories are doing well, as are the sungolds behind them,
And DH was away for a week, and I didn’t pay any attention to the cucumbers… oops,
We’ve managed to squirrel away most of these in neighbors’ and coworkers’ cars…